[labnetwork] Getting files off older computers

Robbins, Roger Roger.Robbins at utdallas.edu
Tue Sep 11 06:45:42 EDT 2018

RE: “Getting Files off older computers”

The cleanroom at the University of Texas at Dallas has solved that problem by purchasing a new computer with a large capacity hard drive and attaching it to a network associated with the old computers.  The usage protocol allows the tool computer a two way link to read and write files.  So the user of the tool stores data to this hard drive and then links a desk top etc. computer to the large storage computer and downloads the data.  However the desktop computer cannot upload anything to the storage disk.  This allows access to the data but prevents viruses from infecting the cleanroom tools.
Cheers,
Dr. Roger Robbins
UTD Process Engineer