[labnetwork] CMOS Clean in a MEMS Fab Facility

Martin,Michael David michael.martin at louisville.edu
Wed Apr 3 10:51:13 EDT 2019

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond! I thought I would summarize the key take-aways on trying to move aspects of our MEMS fab to CMOS. First, though Mary to your point: we are actually trying to do some Ge on Silicon devices and this is what is driving the changes. Larry, we are using metal gates (Al-Si).  You mentioned “other tricks” for this case? Can you elaborate?

Changes I'd like to implement:

  1.  RCA Cleans before any “high” temperature process steps where “high” temperatures might be locally induced by aggressive plasma based processes.  Fortunately, we have a dedicated RCA bench.
  2.  Dedicated quartz or Teflon containers for lithography, Piranha cleans, and aluminum etch.  Separate containers for aluminum lithography vs. completely metal free wafers?
  3.  We have had a dedicated furnace tube for some time but it was made “compatible” after years of general oxidation use by an aggressive HF etch.  I don’t think this is sufficient and will buy a new tube, rod, boat, etc…
  4.  We will begin monitoring contamination by regular CV tests
  5.  We will continue to use disposable polypropylene droppers for resist dispensing and amber bottles for CMOS resists
  6.  I will ask the management to set aside a spinner for CMOS compatible resists only with a particular emphasis on potential contamination from AZ 400k resists. We will stick to the Shipley S series.
  7.  Dedicated CMOS container for either NMP, piranha or other resist removal solvents.

Thank you again!
Regards,

   Michael