[labnetwork] Blistering of metal film stack on PMMA

Shivakumar Bhaskaran sb86922 at usc.edu
Mon Feb 4 00:27:14 EST 2019

Hi Savitha,

I had the same issue with blistering on PMMA sample. You can try increasing the rate and see whether this reduce, (Ex in my case I had deposition of Ti 5A/s and Au 10 A/s).
You can also add spacer between the crucible and pocket, this might help in reducing the current to evaporate the metals (and hence less electrons)
As others have suggested we did install Ebeam optimizer to get rid of the blistering.

The beam optimizer - enhances the magnetic field (can degrade over time) so that all electrons will be captured during the 270 degree turn from the filament and then hit the pocket. If the magnetic field is off or weak higher velocity electrons can escape the confines of the magnetic field and be driven to the substrate.  The beam optimizer just added some B field to account for this.
Attaching the picture how the Beam optimizer looks.
Hope this helps.
Shiva

Shivakumar Bhaskaran, Ph.D.,
John D. O'Brien Nanofabrication Laboratory
Michelson Hall, 1002 Childs Way, MCB LL121,
Los Angeles, California 90089, 213 821 2374
[Sign]