[labnetwork] Silane and Dichlorosilane Line Evacuation

Hathaway, Malcolm R hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 15 10:49:08 EST 2019

Hi Bruce,

Similar to what Rick at Draper described, here at Harvard CNS we do not pump down lines to tools between uses (even over Christmas Break).  We use double-wall ("coax") piping, and the pressure between the walls is monitored by the TGMS.  Any fault condition (coax fail, gas sense events, etc) will cause all toxics and flammables to shut off at the cabinet and at any associated VMBs (valve manifold boxes).  (VMBs are like little "sub-cabinets", housing what are essentially distribution manifolds in the gas line between cylinder cabinet and tool).

If you have a shared use facility where users have little or no access to gas piping and other infrastructure, this works pretty well.  In an individual professor's lab, where "borrowing" of live hardware can occur (!), different arrangements might be in order.

Regarding DCS, we have gotten around the condensation issue by using "sub-atmospheric" supply pressure, i.e. the special regulator we have on DCS and BCl3 allows delivery pressure of only a few hundred torr, so the pressure is never high enough in the lines to allow condensation, even at room temp.  Saves lots of trouble with heater tape and worries about cold spots...

Mac

Mac Hathaway
Senior Process and Systems Engineer
Harvard Center for Nanoscale Systems