[labnetwork] Argon in a BCl3 cylinder

Dwayne Chrusch Dwayne.Chrusch at umanitoba.ca
Wed Jun 19 17:17:02 EDT 2019

Hello,

If you’re using a 2 stage (or multi-stage) regulator, only the second stage (regulator output) and intermediate stage chambers are contaminated.

Here’s a link to how a 2 stage regulator works;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfaucxS5rIc

In order to flow gas from the intermediate chamber to the secondary chamber, the secondary pressure must be lower than the intermediate pressure. If the pressure in the secondary is greater than the intermediate, the orifice between the intermediate chamber and the gas cylinder would remain closed.

You should be able to purge the contaminated gas out. First, close off the cylinder. Next, use your vacuum system to evacuate the gas from the system. Let the MFC drop to zero flow. Set the gas flow rate to as high as safely possible. This will pull the contaminated gas out of the low side and intermediate chamber of the regulator (assuming it’s dual stage). In theory, there will always be some stubborn Ar gas, but it may be practical to purge “enough”. You could always recharge the gas line, and then re-purge it.

Regards,

Dwayne D. Chrusch, MSc.
Operations Manager, Training & Safety Coordinator
Nanosystem Fabrication Lab (NSFL)
E3-487 Engineering
75A Chancellor's Circle
University of Manitoba