[labnetwork] Backing Vacuum Pump - Dry pumps vs Oil Pumps

Brent Gila bgila at ufl.edu
Mon Nov 4 09:40:53 EST 2019

Hello Pradeep,

We use mostly dry pumps but the few wet pumps we have we use a Fomblin
type oil and soft start vacuum valves like this one from VAT
(http://www.vatvalve.com/business/valves/catalog/H/311_1_A).  The soft
start valve helps to minimize the rush of oil back streaming when
pumping down chambers from atmosphere and is a little more gentler on
pumps.  We have not seen an effect in ultimate pressure, but pump down
times are extended due to the added restriction in the conductance.

I highly recommend a dry roughing pump on the cryopump for
regenerating.  The 15K charcoal array in the cryo pump can absorb pump
oil and decrease the cryo pump efficiency over time, which will increase
the frequency for regens and increase down time.

Best Regards,
Brent
--
Brent P. Gila, PhD.