[labnetwork] HSQ Price Increase

Aaron Hryciw ahryciw at ualberta.ca
Wed Sep 18 13:55:52 EDT 2019

Hi all,

Because of ongoing lead time and shelf life issues with Dow Corning HSQ,
our centre switched to stocking AQM SiOx
<https://www.aqmaterials.com/aqm-silsesquioxane-polymers> from Applied
Quantum Materials <https://www.aqmaterials.com/>, which is, as far as I
understand, chemically identical to standard HSQ.  We purchase it in powder
form, where it is reputed to have an indefinite shelf life if kept
moisture-free; users mix it with anhydrous MIBK to the concentration they
need, as needed.

We have a news post
<https://www.nanofab.ualberta.ca/2017/news/new-negative-tone-ebl-resist-in-stock-aqm-siox/>
about
AQM SiOx, including some links to process results and other documentation.
In a side-by-side comparison with Dow Corning HSQ, its behaviour as an EBL
resist was essentially the same.  Our staff have not tested its performance
as an etch mask, but anecdotally, I have heard from some of our EBL users
that it behaves the same as standard HSQ for chlorine-based ICPRIE of Si
(e.g., for Si photonics).

(As a side note, Applied Quantum Materials is a spin-off company from our
university's chemistry department, but they are not associated with our
centre in any way.)

Cheers,

 – Aaron

Aaron Hryciw, PhD, PEng