[labnetwork] Starting Back Up

Sandrine Martin sandrine at umich.edu
Wed Apr 15 16:26:25 EDT 2020

Hello Ron, and all,

We are also in planning mode at Michigan and waiting for the go ahead and
likely recommendations/restrictions from our state and university officials
(as of now, our current stay at home order is effective until 4/30). We're
looking at different sequential stages:
1- replenishing our stock of supplies (most were donated to the hospital,
so we need to make sure we have enough before we move to the next phase)
2- staff only, bringing facilities and tools back online
3- authorized/independent users only (no training)
4- all users

During all of these phases, we are planning for updated protocols that will
be different from our "old" (pre-COVID - which feels such a long time
ago....) operation model.
- additional cleaning, both outside of the lab (where no PPE is worn) and
inside of the lab
- updated gowning protocols (face masks required even in our "class 10,000"
space, double gloving mandatory, garment bags and safety glasses not shared
among lab users, or heavily cleaned between usage)
- increased air exchanges and prefilters added before our HEPA filters in
gowning area .
- social distancing protocols (hence the "no training" in phase 3)
    * limiting the number of people in the gowning area at the same time
    * showing our users the schedule for tools that are in close proximity
and having guidelines about maximum number of people for each physical area
- for now, we are looking at relying on users following protocols (rather
than hard restrictions from our lab management or access control system).
    * enhancing our training methods so that they rely less on close
proximity (we already have wiki pages and SOPs for all tools, and online
quizzes for a few, but we're looking at developing this further, and
including video training if possible - we don't yet have any of these).
    * limiting onsite staff presence (at least initially) with rotation
between two teams, possibly increasing air exchanges in office areas too.

It's definitely still a work in progress - looking forward to hearing about
other ideas from the rest of you!

Thanks
Sandrine

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:50 AM Reger, Ronald K <rreger at purdue.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> Here at Purdue for the last 3 weeks we have severely curtailed our
> research efforts at the Birck Nanotechnology Center due to the pandemic, to
> the point that only a fraction of our facility is being used for projects
> deemed critical (related to COVID-19 or national interest).  We are
> preparing to ramp back up once the stay-at-home orders are lifted and this
> ramp-up presents some unique challenges.  We’re anticipating potential
> delays in orders from suppliers as they ramp up and we expect that social
> distancing will still be the norm so process & equipment training will need
> to be handled differently. We’re just now starting to plan for returning to
> a full research operation and we’re wondering if you all are developing
> similar plans?  It would be great if we could share some thoughts and ideas
> in our community.
>

> Thanks very much,
>

> Ron
>

> *Ron Reger*
>
> *Engineering Manager*
>
> Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 2289 |
>
> *Office:*  765.494.6667 | *Email:* rreger at purdue.edu
>
> Wiki:  https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/BNCWiki
>
> iLabs:  https://purdue.ilabsolutions.com/homepage/

> [image: Purdue_University-150_Years_of_Giant_Leaps.png (300×66)]
>

> *www.purdue.edu/giantleaps <http://www.purdue.edu/giantleaps>*

Sandrine Martin, Ph.D.

University of Michigan

LNF Managing Director