[labnetwork] wet etching InGaAlAs

Demis D. John demis at ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 11 13:22:53 EST 2020

That etchant sounds correct. Clawson usually works.

If it’s not etching at all, then there is a residual layer left from previous etches.
Things I would do in your situation:

-Observe surface wetting before/during each wet etch. If surface is slightly hydrophilic, then wet etchants may not attack (or be significantly slowed down in) smaller etching regions due to caught air bubbles.
Common remedy to this is O2 plasma RIE to make surface hydrophilic. For us, 15sec in this O2 Asher does the trick (want ion bombardment, not Ozone for example)
https://wiki.nanotech.ucsb.edu/wiki/index.php/Ashers_(Technics_PEII)
Nothing wrong with just doing an O2 plasma before any of these wet etches since they’re all usually oxidation-reduction (so generating an oxide is acceptable).

- overetch the previous wet etches,
inspect depth change and/or color change at every step. If etches are highly selective, should see identical uniform color in etched regions across the sample. Look closely by eye, but also microscope. Sometimes can observe during the etch itself, through beaker.
Use same microscope/settings each time to ensure same color, take photos for reference.
In extreme cases I would also save known etched pieces in order to check color against my sample (to ensure surface had exposed the material I expected), although this is dependent on the absorption of visible light in the materials being observed, so beware of optical interference.

-- Demis