[labnetwork] LED Lights for Lithography

martin at algoshift.com martin at algoshift.com
Sat Feb 22 02:55:03 EST 2020

I am currently working on the development of LED-based lights for
lithography applications.  I came across this list and was kindly
allowed to join.

I have a background in high-performance, high accuracy LED-based
applications going back some twenty years.  In addition to that I worked
in aerospace engineering, robotics and other work I can't talk about
(most recently, SpaceX).

At this stage in my new mission I am trying to confirm what I have
learned in order to start developing a few prototypes for testing.  This
is what I know and don't know so far:

- Energy above 500 nm should be below 0.001%
- Operator metamerism doesn't seem to be much of a concern in these
environments (?)
- Outgassing is not desirable (I don't have any kind of a specification
for this)
- No specification on acceptable flicker
- No specification on required efficiency (Lumen/Watt)
- No specification on the amount of light required, either:
     - Illuminance (intensity of light on a surface, lux) or,
     - Luminance (light energy emitted, lumens)

Frankly, there really isn't very much data out there.  It also seems
that semiconductor companies keep their lithography illumination
requirements somewhat close to the vest.  At least this is what I've
come across.  I wonder if this is because these kinds of specifications
might reveal process details?  Don't know.

The three main trades I have in front of me at the moment for this
design are:

- White LEDs with carefully selected film or coating-based filter to cut
blue + UV
- Green and Red LEDs only, no blue; filtration is still needed
- A combination of carefully selected white LEDs with low spectral power
above 500 nm along with, perhaps, green and red to enhance; filtration
still needed

To clarify, the Green+Red LED option still requires filtration because
green LEDs produce some energy above 500 nm.  If I am to take the 0.001%
specification to be true, an optical filter would still be required.

White LED's, which, of course, are nothing more than blue LEDs with a
phosphor coating are the most readily available high efficiency units in
the market.  Frankly, if high light output at the lowest possible cost
is a requirement it is hard to beat them with a combination of red and
green LEDs.  That said, depending on how they are selected, a
significant portion of the spectral power they emit will have to be
converted into heat at a filter or bad things will happen in the lab.

The third option involves selecting very warm white LEDs that have
almost no blue spike.  This means less heating of the filter element
and, likely, longer life.  This could be an interesting solution.

Plastic film based filters degrade over time, particularly if there's a
lot of heating due to having too much energy in the undesirable portion
of the spectrum.  This is where thin film deposition (sputtering?) could
exhibit far more favorable band-pass characteristics as long a
longevity.  Cost, of course, could be an issue.

I am very familiar with material out-gassing issues in the context of
aerospace applications.  Not so for lab usage.  Understanding where
these limits might lie would be very useful.  The perfectionist in me
wants to design a T5-class 4 ft LED light fully encased and
appropriately sealed in a durable glass tube that is both internally and
externally coated to not pass light above 500 nm.  At the same time, I
do understand that a real solution has to fit a budget as well as
technical specifications.  Not sure where that intersection lies but I
am aware of it.

I introduced a term above that might not be familiar to everyone here;
observer metamerism.  This is a by-product of the spectral power
distributions of light, reflection and the human vision system
interacting in such a way that two colors that are different might
appear the same (or, in general, you have trouble discerning colors that
are easy to see under different conditions).  If you've ever tried to
determine if a steak is well done under a typical white LED light and
could not, that's observer metamerism.  Mitigation requires "filling in"
the emitted spectra in areas relevant to the task at hand.

This is why I asked myself this question in the red+green LED case.
Both of these have narrow emission spectra.  Our brains can function
with this kind of light and, yes, we will see it as yellow.  However,
any colors in the portion of the visible spectrum lacking energy will
become challenging to deal with.  It's like being color blind.  Given
that lithography labs are already built to work with yellow light, I
find myself wondering how much of a problem, if any, might be posed by
observer metamerism in the case of the proposed red+green LED solution.

I think that's the basics at this point.  I would appreciate any and all
feedback, questions and even a good shove in the right direction.

Thank you,

Martin Euredjian
AlgoShift, LLC
Los Angeles, CA