[labnetwork] SCS Labcoater 2 parylene system

Chito Kendrick cekendri at mtu.edu
Tue Jan 7 13:28:20 EST 2020

I follow the process outlined in the manual pretty closely for our system.

1. Treating the chamber with Micro90 to help release the parylene, spray
all parts and then wipe off excess pooling of Micro90
2. Peeling off any parylene that is bubbling or may come off during pump
down. For the thickness we normally do this is after every run. Mainly
using plastic tweezers to help peel off the film in one sheet and then
rubbing with a cleanroom wipe soaked with the Micro90 solution to help
remove anything still stuck, if it does not come off then we assume it will
not peel off layer during pumping.
3. We also do regular pump oil changes and removal of the flex line from
the chamber to the cold finger to peel out any build up that can not be
accessed with it on the system
4. Recently we had to drill out the baffle to clear a blockage in baffle
tubing, it caused a build up of parylene in the vaporizer as the vapor flow
was restricted
5. We are getting to the point where I will have to replace the stage as
the coating is too rough to peel off. Several screws on our rotating plate
are so bound up with parylene I am going to have to drill out the screws
and retap them to completely clean some parts.

The only cloudy films we have had I have associated to a bad base pressure
or the micro90 has not completely dried.

Chito Kendrick

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 12:47 PM Hayes, Matthew David <hayes186 at purdue.edu>
wrote:

> Hello all!
>

> I’m interested in hearing how others are cleaning the chambers in these
> systems. Including:
>

>    1. Cleaning after every run or at some interval?
>    2. Procedures used to clean?
>    3. Using Micro 90 on chamber surfaces to promote removal of parylene
>    film?
>

> Also, some users will get a cloudy film. Could this be from too thick of
> coating of Micro 90? Usually, I’ll check vacuum then run a deposition of my
> own and the film looks better than the users.
>

> *Matthew D Hayes*
>
> Engineering Technician
>
> Birck Nanotechnology Center
>
> Purdue University
>
> 765-494-6522
>
> hayes186 at purdue.edu

Chito Kendrick Ph.D. <https://sites.google.com/site/chitokendrickphd/>

Managing Director of the Microfabrication Facility
Research Assistant Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Michigan Technological University
Room 436 M&M Building