[labnetwork] RIE Lower Electrode Question

Rinehart, Sean sean.rinehart at yale.edu
Mon Jul 20 11:57:23 EDT 2020

Hi Long,

One metric for how much those scratches actually matter is your helium leak rate with a wafer installed. Do you find it's been drifting up over the years, even with fresh wafers?

Regarding cleaning, if you're comfortable with removing the electrode I would recommend using IPA with a scotch-brite sanding pad (green), then finish with an ultra fine scotch brite polishing pad (gray). I'd recommend against doing this with the electrode installed, as IPA could easily carry debris into the wafer lift/helium cooling channel.

It looks like your system is an Oxford, and they also sell replacement electrodes. We replace ours about once a decade in our Cl2/BCl3 ICP RIE.

Best,

Sean Rinehart (he, him, his)

Assistant Director, Cleanroom Operations

Yale University