[labnetwork] How to charge for sputtering target use

Michael Dimitri Sinanis msinani at purdue.edu
Thu Jun 4 20:20:04 EDT 2020

Long,

One method that I have used in a similar situation is as follow:

  1.  Target with cost A installed (Cost AA, weight WW)
  2.  User 1 sputters 2 microns
  3.  User 2 sputters 1 micron
  4.  User 3 sputters 4 microns
  5.  User ............... (and so on)
  6.  Target A has been consumed and replaced with Target H
  7.  Target A (what is remaining) is reclaimed in dollars (Cost BB, weight XX)

Cost used = Cost AA - Cost BB
Metal used = Weight WW - Weight XX
Total microns sputtered = User 1 + User 2+ ......
Cost per micron used = Cost used / Total microns sputtered
Cost per metal used = Metal used / Total microns sputtered

If one target tends to take longer than a fiscal year to be consumed than I would use the market price per weight.
If the target tends to get consumed within a few months then I would use the cost per micron from the previous cycle to charge the use today.

Of course this is not perfect, but it gives you a fair baseline I think.

Best,

Michael