[labnetwork] Toxic Gases tubing

mtkhbeis at gmail.com mtkhbeis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 02:20:31 EDT 2020

Kamal,

1. Not all jurisdictions require coax tubing by code. Unfortunately, my old university only wanted to pay for what was a code requirement and I had to fight for and pay for coax tubing. Double containment on toxic gasses is a best practice. As a lab owner/manager you should insist on it as secondary containment should not be viewed as a luxury.

2. Both welded elbows and bending are acceptable practices. There are pros and cons to each approach. Bottom line is that you need to run quality control checks on both approaches and have assurance of line integrity.

3. Heat tracing is chemical dependent. It is not based on the length of tubing. If you have a cold spot on an otherwise heated line, you will end up with condensation and problems. Vacuum jacketed tubing will obviously not conduct heat as efficiently; however, you are looking at steady state heating not transient heating. You should have heat trace coupled with insulation jackets from source to endpoint.

4. You mentioned exhausted gas box at any point there is a mechanical connection (eg VCR interface, manifold, etc). This is a requirement. One point you didn’t mention is gas detection. You should be detecting at source, point of use ambient, and any location that has a mechanical connection.

Best regards,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
(C) 443.254.5192