[labnetwork] Toxic Gases tubing

Kamal Yadav kamal.yadav at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:54:56 EDT 2020

Dear All,

Thank you everyone for all your responses on toxic gas tubing for
Cl2/BCl3/HBr.
I received many responses and may write directly write to them for
subsequent queries.

To summarize: Overall recommendation and also mostly required by code as
well to have co-axial for these gases, along with heat tracing for BCl3,
and scrubbing, with VCR fittings.

Thanks,
Kamal

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 9:43 AM Kamal Yadav <kamal.yadav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We will be installing SS gas tubing for Cl2, BCl3, HBr, SiH4.
>
> I have some experience in how industry does it, but wanted to know how
> different universities do this. From some prior posts, I got to know
> University of Michigan has co-axial tubing for all these gases and every
> connector location for these gases is exhausted as well at their facility
>
> My queries are:
> 1. Is this how most of the Universities do it or there are places where
> these gases are in single tubing [non co-axial or double contained].
> 2. Also if you do orbital welding or just bending of the tubes?
>
> I have been informed it is based on the fire code of the city or county,
> but it's not apparent from those documents.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Kamal