[labnetwork] Toxic Gases tubing

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 16 17:26:11 EDT 2020

Kamal,
  I have been a little busy to chime my opinion on your questions. I would, however, like to briefly express my experience with heat tracing gas lines. In a nutshell, don’t do it! If your gas is stored in a reasonably climate controlled area where the temperatures are not much less that the area where the tool is, you would be better off delivering your gas at sub-atmospheric or near sub-atmospheric pressures. Simply put, one law of physics states that if you lower the pressure of a gas or liquid, you lower its boiling point. This only effective in vacuum systems where there is a pressure differential. Heat tracing gas lines might, and I emphasize might, work for some folks if the insulation is impeccable but sooner or later, those gases will liquify in the first cool surface that they touch…usually in an MFC. Over the years, I became frustrated with these setups and the downtime it causes and looked into simple physics for a solution. I have been running sub-atmospheric for over 25 years in two different facilities without issue. You need special regulators that will allow and control at 5”Hg-5 PSI. Regular tied diaphragm regulators are too “jumpy” for this task.
I hope this helps.
   Steve Paolini Equipment Dood

Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
11 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617- 496- 9816
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu