[labnetwork] Pyrogenic internal torch

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 3 17:00:28 EDT 2021

Scott,
  Over the years, I have had great results with MRL external torches. The main advantage is being able to see the combustion and whether or not the torch depth is correct. The other big advantage is being able to use a flame detector that will shut off the H2 flow in a couple of seconds (adjustable) to avoid injecting  gas continuously into a cold torch. You may be seeing uniformity issues with the coaxial if you have tiny air leaks being pulled into the tube from the ground glass joints. Are you using Teflon seals? In any event, please ensure that you are running the H2/O2 mix Oxygen rich to prevent accumulating H2 downstream.
  Equipment Dood

Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
11 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617- 496- 9816
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu