[labnetwork] Pyrogenic internal torch

mark cooper markc at exper-tech.com
Tue Aug 3 23:35:43 EDT 2021

Back in the day Bruce, Thermco, MRL and Persys all had multiple versions of the external torch hardware, and some were integrated well, and some were clunky.

The original J hook actually had the flame active in the source zone and could create 10 degree shift in the temperature as the flame tickled the back of the tube. The external torch designs cut down the source zone delta t to a degree or less in process conditions. Huge improvement. J hook had reliability issues with the flame and flow patterns, small flow changes effected the flame direction and quality.

You need to maintain your flow ratio of H2 O2 to 1.88 or less, and most of the torches will allow you to wait 10 seconds to see the flame after gasses flow.

The MRL and the Thermco style both use a reliable Honeywell uv sensor for flame sense, pretty reliable.

MRL designs have a jacket around the torch to help manage heat. Persys use a lot of CDA to cool the torch, and Thermco design requires a scavenger to pull the excess heat out of the source cabinet. Thermco did make a water cooled unit that was pretty fancy, and wasnt used often.

Bruce had its own design, and migrated to a version of the persys torch hardware with its 5600 model external torch control system

Persys uses lamps technology to light the flame, and once the flame is set, the lamps turn off.

If your furnace is profiled, it should be able to obtain 1% or 2 % process uniformity using the external torch designs.

Expertech does have product knowledge across all of the versions, and can help guide you. Feel free to reach out directly and we can get you back on track. We do offer new, remanufactured, and subject to availability used working parts. I cant say we support every torch perturbation from in 40 years but we are qualified historians and know the evolution.

thanks

Mark Cooper

General Manager

10 Victor Square, Suite 100