[labnetwork] ICP STS ASE Issue

Owain Clark odc1n08 at soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 23 05:47:52 EDT 2021

I think this is a summary of what others have said, but to recap from my experience.

Rule out matching issues first, if your process log shows a good match with low reflected power then you are generally good. Can be hard to see sometimes in the fast switching steps of DRIE so make sure you log interval is sufficiently fast for good resolution.

Once that is sorted grassing is nearly always a result of poor C:F matching in process relative to the active material areas exposed to the plasma. Broadly speaking Si is a F sink, resist will contribute C back to the plasma, SiO2 is an F sink but not as much as C and will contribute O back to the plasma which can reduce C density. Very hand wavy but broadly true.

If you see black silicon then the surface has roughened. If the surface is roughened then logically you have not cleared the polymer from it sufficiently before the isotropic SF6 etch step. So to combat this you need a shorter C4F8 dep step or a longer anisotropic SF6 etch to ensure polymer removal from planar surfaces. A 2nd hypothesis is that you also have insufficient SF6 flow in the isotropic etch step for your exposed Si area but I find this less likely. Still worth investigating.

3rd hypothesis - another user of the tool has been using excessive vacuum oil or involatile mask materials which have then redeposited from chamber walls to micromask the black Si areas. An Al mask would be a classic via involatile AlF formation. This is a problem for us in shared use non-DRIE ICP tools occasionally. Not much you can do apart from wet clean/plasma clean the chamber until problem goes away. If you are running similar chip sizes on Si wafers before with no issues perhaps consider this idea more.

When we train users on etch tools we always mention to them the issue of processes that are sensitive to exposed material areas, and C:F etch processes are a classic. A lot of our users are running what I call 'mixed Boschs' which is a constant flow of SF6:C4F8 intended to tune sidewall angle on standard ICP tools. When it works, it works very well. But if they upscale from chip to wafer, or change mask pattern, or change carrier wafer material the performance will shift and DRIE is the same. We try to educate them in this as early as possible to save pain. Despite the extra work involved if they intend to upscale from chip to wafer then it is best to start with a carrier wafer that mimics the final wafer as much as possible, which usually involves a resist spun carrier wafer. More work initially but saves time in the long run.

Once I saw a user perfect a Ta2O5 C4F8/O2 etch on a 20mm chip, C4F8/O2 process, excellent sidewalls. He was very surprised when he upscaled to a 4" Tas2O5 wafer (still on 6" Si carrier) and the etch shifted from etch to deposition and he ended up with a layer of CF polymer all over his device wafer. Since then, we try to avoid this with early education!

We don't allow chips in our DRIE anymore, it was too much of a problem relating to issues like this, chamber contamination with vacuum oil affecting other users processes etc. It is supposed to be a clean Si/Si dielectric/resist only tool so best to not allow in

Can't really comment on the recipes being as all tools have their own personalities, we run a Plasmatherm Versaline.

Regards, Owain