[labnetwork] plasma etching of niobium

Manish Keswani manish.keswani01 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 02:43:48 EDT 2021

Thank you Kamal for your response. I wanted to talk to a few folks on this
topic and get their input before replying to your email so I couldn't get
back to you sooner.

I think with plasma etch, it may not be that straightforward to create this
pattern. If we select a higher ratio of C4F8 to CF4, it will passivate more
on the top and less on the bottom, which will provide a tapered profile
(trapezoidal, smaller opening at the top), but it may be challenging to
achieve a slope of 45 deg.

Another option is to create a resits profile with a 45 deg slope
(trapezoid) using grayscale lithography and then fill the openings (inverse
trapezoid, larger top) with the metal (Nb) using sputter or ebeam,
planarize, and remove the resist.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
Manish