[labnetwork] ALD reactor thru wall sealing ideas

Carlos Gramajo cg70 at rice.edu
Fri Jul 15 09:46:48 EDT 2022

Kevin,
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the machine will be in
the air return area, maybe class 10,000. I don't believe that you need a
tight seal there since the air pressure differential should  move air  away
from your clean area. All you need to do is remove the possibility of a
large draught around your door. I might suggest cutting out a square with a
hole the size of the nipple, then cut that in half. Once you have put the
door through then use those two pieces you cut out and collar it around the
nipple and screw it onto the wall. you can even get some adhesive rubber
tape to put on the edge of the cutout semicircles to have a tighter seal
when you collar it.

I hope this idea  helps,

Regards,

Carlos

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 6:55 AM Kevin M McPeak <kmcpeak at lsu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Over the past year and a half, the LSU nanofabrication facility has
> constructed a plasma-enhanced ALD tool with much advice from Scott Butcher
> at MEAglow. See photos of the tool here:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://photos.app.goo.gl/iBMRZnYfKJmJBQtKA__;!!BuQPrrmRaQ!n6ZgUquZKvgQ2tqHYmW6MHqdXDjnaK2fzJLoHyjThGLnphjv6Pd2qsVYSwpRqIYk9WlSmZp1RBAamtl5wYhp_CY$
>
> Our current plan is to house the tool outside the cleanroom and have the
> heated/insulated door stick through a hole in the cleanroom wall (1/2"
> thick Al honeycomb), see photos.
>
> We are looking for ideas on the best way to seal the hole in the wall
> around the jacket. We are thinking of cutting the wall larger than the
> jacket diameter and then fabricating a large rubber grommet around the
> jacket. Hopefully, some of you have tools with these kinds of seals and can
> provide first-hand experience or even sources for the materials.
>
> The reactor body is built from a MDC 8" Tee (
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mdcprecision.com/404041-tee-8-inchflange__;!!BuQPrrmRaQ!n6ZgUquZKvgQ2tqHYmW6MHqdXDjnaK2fzJLoHyjThGLnphjv6Pd2qsVYSwpRqIYk9WlSmZp1RBAamtl5julTbUE$
> ) with a 3/4" thick heated jacket wrapped around it. The maximum external
> temperature of the jacket is 129 F (touch safe).
>
> Thanks for your input in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

Carlos Gramajo
Cleanroom Research Scientist
Shared Equipment Authority (SEA), Rice University
Cell: 713-743-8115; Office: 713-348-8243; cg70 at rice.edu