[labnetwork] Vacuum pump inlet trap for ALD tool

Rob Breisch rob.breisch at trilliumus.com
Tue Jul 19 14:25:04 EDT 2022

I agree with Mitchell.  Dave Rolph has solved some problems for my customers with MultiTraps and those customers are still using them today.  He will tell you if the multitap will work for the ALD application based upon his experience, but I have never consulted him on this application.

However, in my experience, most fab customers have chosen to heat the forelines on ALD as opposed to adding traps prior to the pump to prevent things like TMA from depositing.  If your chlorinated material has a similar profile (remains in gas phase at pump operating temp), I think it would be worth investigating a foreline heat solution.  If you are doing ALD with DCS and Ammonia, there is a known solution adopted from LPCVD Nitride for a water cooled trap after the pump.  The total solution is heated foreline, hot running pump, heated exhaust line, then water cooled trap (collecting Ammonium Chloride).  The A25S is hot running, so you've got that part solved already.

The conundrum here is do you cool the gas stream using the trap and risk condensation in the pump or just try to keep in the vapor phase until it can be trapped or abated.  I think it may come down to the act materials you intend to be depositing.  It would be good to speak to a technical person from Edwards and Ebara to also get their perspective as they work very closely with ALD system OEMs.

Regards,

Rob Breisch
Vice President, Sales and Marketing
[email logo 3]
     Trillium US, Inc.
     My Mobile: 801-726-5035
     Trillium Toll Free: 800-453-1340
     Email:  rob.breisch at trilliumus.com<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Frob.breisch%40trilliumus.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cdoug.smith%40nxp.com%7C6a18a23fd52849ab6e2c08d9a2d36a20%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0%7C0%7C637719851320585298%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=28DKNqx19eklsozNWtmNaSym844LuMy0zetFDNZygeM%3D&reserved=0>
     WebSite: www.trilliumus.com<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trilliumus.com%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cdoug.smith%40nxp.com%7C6a18a23fd52849ab6e2c08d9a2d36a20%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0%7C0%7C637719851320595292%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=X54HcYftCFP6zKZ7vzk45e1k%2FRpAfSNZLp4GfLxSYVU%3D&reserved=0>
     Follow Trillium on LinkedIn<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fcompany%2F3263466%3Ftrk%3Dtyah%26trkInfo%3Dtas%253Atrillium%2520us%252Cidx%253A1-2-2&data=04%7C01%7Cdoug.smith%40nxp.com%7C6a18a23fd52849ab6e2c08d9a2d36a20%7C686ea1d3bc2b4c6fa92cd99c5c301635%7C0%7C0%7C637719851320605287%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=AB6ZNk5uz%2Ffa%2Fux%2FFDCbaityo4aQYKar6%2F9rv%2FSc3hQ%3D&reserved=0>

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Reading, copying or disseminating this transmission by anyone other than the named addressee(s) is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or phone at (503) 682-3837.