[labnetwork] Nitrogen Generation

Iulian Codreanu codreanu at udel.edu
Wed Jul 27 10:41:59 EDT 2022

Hi Joseph,

In my experience the pressure of the gaseous N2 entering the building is
of the order of 100 psig.

You can estimate the required flow from the utility matrix prepared by
your design team. If other labs in the building need N2, please add
their estimated usage to the flow.

LN2 tanks come in various volumes. The one I had at UPenn was 6,000
gallons and come with two vaporizers that alternate on their roles of
generating gaseous N2. At UDel I have two 3,000 gallons tanks, each with
two alternating vaporizers. At both UPenn and UDel, the tank(s) feed
both the cleanroom and the research labs in the building.

To avoid major issues with ice on the vaporizers, please try to avoid
having the LN2 tank(s) and vaporizer(s) on the North side of the building.

Cheers,

Iulian

iulian Codreanu, Ph.D.
Director, Nanofabrication Facility