[labnetwork] Iridium Oxide Reactive Process Problems

Carlos Gramajo cg70 at rice.edu
Mon Jun 27 16:11:38 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everyone who responded with suggestions on how to
reduce flakes for this process.
I just wanted to let you all know what I ended up doing and what were the
results.

I used a fused silica wafer 180 µm thick and made a gasket that would cover
the gap. I took measurements straight from the gun and I used the laser
cutter to cut the gasket from the wafer.

Before installation of the gasket we kept having to open the chamber every
3-4 uses to clean the flakes that were shorting the gun out by vacuuming
and blowing nitrogen in the gap to force flakes that had lodged themselves
in there. This process usually took a bit of time and we were afraid that
one day we may not be able to dislodge flakes from inside the gap, which
would require a more involved maintenance routine.

After installation of the gasket, I am happy to say that users were able to
use the system about 15 times without interruption and it would presumably
continue to work if we didn't change the target source to a different
material.

When we changed the target we removed the gasket, which we found to be
broken, maybe due to thermal stresses, but it still covered the majority of
the gap, so we are going to have to make another one when we put the Ir
target back on. Right now I am looking for a tougher material with the same
properties, so that we can make this more permanent, but as a proof of
concept, it worked really well.

Best regards and again thank you for your input,

Carlos

Cell: 713-743-8115; Office: 713-348-8243; cg70 at rice.edu