[labnetwork] Providing chemical gloves to users

Matthew Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 8 09:53:52 EST 2022

Hi Eric,

We use the same procedure as Dave highlighted below, including the use of
shared trionic gloves.  I will add that we ask our users to double glove
with our standard cleanroom nitrile gloves ahead of donning the chemical
gloves.  In addition, we have a taped off safety zone around the benches.
In order to avoid potential contamination of other surfaces in the lab, we
instruct users not to wear the gloves outside of that zone.

I should also note that we consider the procedure Dave described for
inflating the gloves (i.e. leak checking) prior to use to be very
important, as we have found that the trionic gloves do dry out and
ultimately crack in the cleanroom environment, especially with continued
exposure to DI water.  We therefore swap them out regularly.

Best Regards,

Matt

--

*Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D*

Executive Director, Claire & John Bertucci Nanotechnology Laboratory

Electrical & Computer Engineering | Carnegie Mellon University

5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890

Phone:  412-268-5430

ece.cmu.edu <http://www.ece.cmu.edu/>

nanofab.ece.cmu.edu <http://www.nanofab.ece.cmu.edu/>