[labnetwork] Heat tape recommendation?

Martin, Michael michael.martin at louisville.edu
Thu Nov 17 10:32:02 EST 2022

Hello,
   We are about to re-wrap our BCl3 line with heat tape and insulation and are in need of some advice.   In the past we have used the rather expensive silicone constant wattage heaters with adjustable power control https://www.mcmaster.com/heat-tape/constant-wattage-heaters-with-adjustable-temperature-control-for-pipes-and-tubes/ .  The problem we have is that these do not seem to last very long before burning out, and as I mentioned are quite expensive. Does anyone have a better solution?  Longer lasting and cheaper? I should mention that we need only to keep the tubing at maybe 30C to prevent condensation of the BCl3 vapor.
[https://images1.mcmaster.com/init/gfx/favicon/192x192.png?ver=1622796110]<https://www.mcmaster.com/heat-tape/constant-wattage-heaters-with-adjustable-temperature-control-for-pipes-and-tubes/>
McMaster-Carr<https://www.mcmaster.com/heat-tape/constant-wattage-heaters-with-adjustable-temperature-control-for-pipes-and-tubes/>
McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
www.mcmaster.com
   I was looking at self-regulating heat tapes used to prevent pipes from freezing (an interesting technology in its own right) but am not sure they operate above room temperature given their intended application.  https://www.thecarycompany.com/temperature-control/heating-cables/self-regulating-cables?temp_voltage=157510 The nice thing about these is that they evidently last for years.
[https://www.thecarycompany.com/media/logo/default/the-cary-company-logo.png]<https://www.thecarycompany.com/temperature-control/heating-cables/self-regulating-cables?temp_voltage=157510>
Self-Regulating Heating Cables<https://www.thecarycompany.com/temperature-control/heating-cables/self-regulating-cables?temp_voltage=157510>
Automatically Adjust Your Heat Output With Self-Regulating Cables! Keep your pipes from freezing with our Self-Regulating Heating Cables. The cables automatically adjust heat output based on the surface temperature and can also be great for low-temperature process maintenance. The flexibility of the cables can help you get even the most hard to heat applications. Options thermoplastic and fluropolymer jackets as well as tinned copper braid outside finishes. Whether you need low, medium, or high temperature cables, shop and compare all of our selection to find the best fit for you!
www.thecarycompany.com
Also, do you have any recommendations for insulating tubing in a cleanroom environment?

Regards,
   Michael

Senior Process Engineer

Micro/Nano Technology Center