[labnetwork] Microfabrication class

Dr. Loïk Gence logence at uc.cl
Thu Oct 13 21:17:41 EDT 2022

Dear Sergi,

I started a few years ago microfabrication Classes for engineers and
experimental physicists, here at UC. our cleanroom is small, with CMOS
or III-V standard processes. Thus we have more flexibility about
materials and processes.   We did microfluidics devices pump (with ITO
electrodes), graphene transistors (using comercial monolayer), and basic
MEMS with Si anisotropic etching, and simple micro-electrodes. Most of
the time, the devices are not working very well, but It allows the
students to go through mask design, spin-coating, (use of tweezers!),
photolithography, thin-film deposition, wet etching, and electrical
characterization. I think the graphene-based devices are quite simple to
fabricate and and always include an important electrical
characterization part. Microfluidics devices are fantastic for students
if they have the possibility to characterize under microscope the
channels with micro-particles for instance...

Hope it helps!

Best,

Loïk

Le 07/10/2022 à 14:39, Sergi Lendinez a écrit :

> Dear labnetwork community,
>
> Here at LSU we are planning to start a microfabrication class soon,
> and I would like to ask for your opinions about setting up this kind
> of class at a university. I am not sure if this topic has been
> discussed here before, so I apologize for any possible duplication.
>

> Any information would be very helpful, like do's and don't's, devices
> being fabricated, number of students, students/teacher ratio, course
> load, etc.
>

> I'd like to fabricate some CMOS device, but we lack some critical
> equipment such as a diffusion tube furnace, cvd, or packaging tools,
> so I'm looking for alternate ideas: maybe a photodiode/detector, a
> Hall sensor or some micro-fluidic channels. If anyone has some
> experience fabricating these devices in a class setup, is there
> anything you'd be willing to share?
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Sergi
>
> *---***
>
> *Sergi Lendinez, Ph. D.*
> Assistant Director NFF | Louisiana State University
>
> Center for Advanced Microstructures and Devices (CAMD)
>
> 6980 Hefferson Highway, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
> (225) 578-9378
>
> sergilendi at lsu.edu<mailto:sergilendi at lsu.edu>|
> *lsu.edu/nanofabrication*<https://lsu.edu/nanofabrication>

Dr. Loïk Gence
Assistant Professor
Functional Materials & Devices Lab
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Avda. Vicuña Mackenna 4860,
CP 7820436 Santiago
Lab: +56 95504 9648
www.lgdeviceslab.com

--
No sienta la obligación de contestar este mail fuera de horario laboral.