[labnetwork] Sputtering issue

Jing Guo jeanne.guo at rice.edu
Fri Apr 14 10:25:05 EDT 2023

Hi Saba,

Was the process a pure Ta sputtering or reactive sputtering? For a pure Ta DC power sputtering process, usually it shouldn’t generate that much particles. Ta coating on the sputter gun house/chimney should have a good adhesion. Any accumulated particles on the Ta target surface after ~ 2 hours sputtering?

If the chimney or clamp ring for the target has been coated too much materials, you need to clean the whole kit and measure the gun to the ground layer by layer once you install a target. Another issue could be that some magnets got demagnetized which cannot provide strong magnetic field on the target surface.

What was the strike condition, like pressure, power, gun voltage/current? Did you see whether the voltage/current can stabilize once the plasma was generated?

There are several ways to figure out it is the sputter gun issue or a Ta target issue. Normally targets should be fine.

Thanks.

Best,
Jing
Jing Guo Ph.D.