[labnetwork] Budgeting a cleanroom build

Kevin M McPeak kmcpeak at lsu.edu
Tue Feb 7 18:01:17 EST 2023

Dear Colleagues,

At LSU, we are putting together a proposal to build a cleanroom on campus (our current one is 15 min away). Our VP of research has asked me to determine a rough budget for constructing a microelectronics cleanroom. Below are the itemized details:

- Size: 2000 sqft of class 100 space and 2000 sqft of grey room space. Our current off-campus cleanroom is 2000 sqft.
- Location: 5th floor (top floor) of chemistry building (total space of 5th floor is 12,000 sqft)
- Current condition of space:  5th floor is unfinished, i.e., concrete floors with pipes coming from the ground and 10ft ceilings.

I want to factor in the following costs: air handlers, toxic gas handling for PECVD, LPCVD, and ICP-RIE machines, and getting utilities to each tool, i.e., power, water, and N2.

$8 million is the current number that people are tossing around. I would greatly appreciate the feedback on that value. I certainly don't want to underfund the project. Thanks!

Regards,
Kevin