[labnetwork] HDD Best Practice

Massey, Travis massey21 at llnl.gov
Thu Feb 9 16:01:33 EST 2023

Hi Long,

Very few of our tools are networked (or could be networked) for backups to a server, so I recently started using Clonezilla to create clones of all of the tools.  Clonezilla is a lightweight bootable Linux build whose sole purpose is to clone drives.  Just put it on a flash drive (or CD, for tools older than flash drive support -- first-gen Windows XP and earlier), stick it in the tool, and boot to it.  It'll guide you through the steps.

Once I have the clone, I keep the dedicated clone drive in a safe place *and* manually put the clone image on a server in case something happens to the physical copy of the clone.

Best,
Travis Massey
Center for Micro and Nanotechnology | Center for Bioengineering
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory