[labnetwork] Heidelberg Instruments stage interferometer laser replacement

Greg Holloway greg.holloway at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 11 15:03:35 EST 2023

Hello,

We have an MLA150 from Heidelberg instruments which we've been running for
~5 years. At the last annual PM, we were told by Heidelberg that the stage
interferometer laser was approaching its end of life, as the signal is
getting weaker. Heidelberg quoted us the cost for a refurbished laser unit,
and we were surprised by how expensive it was. I was wondering how owners
of other Heidelberg Instruments tools have proceeded in this situation?
Does everyone just get the unit directly from Heidelberg, or has anyone
attempted any thriftier alternatives such as repairing or replacing
themselves?

The laser unit is a Renishaw RLU10-A3-A3.

Best,
-Greg Holloway
QNFCF: University of Waterloo