[labnetwork] Deep anisotropic etching of SiO2

Robert Nidetz nidetz at umich.edu
Wed Jan 18 20:33:41 EST 2023

Could you mechanically remove most of the SiO2 using something like a
dicing saw and then finish the removal using a wet etch? Maybe create a fin
structure in the SiO2 you do not want and then let a wet etch remove the
fins? Your undercut could be reduced in this manner.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 8:08 PM Howard Northfield <
Howard.Northfield at uottawa.ca> wrote:

> That's a very deep etch.
>
> Regarding dry etching:
> I have recently done etch tests on PEVCD SiO2 with a SAMCO 10NR RIE:
>
> - 50W, 80sccm CF4, 16sccm O2, 3.0Pa: ~21nm/min
>
> - 25W, 25sccm SF6, 10sccm O2, 3.0Pa: ~7nm/min
> - 50W, 25sccm SF6, 10sccm O2, 3.0Pa: ~19nm/min
>
> ... yes for 500um that would be around a 417 hour etch .... not
> feasible/realistic.
> So you can probably rule out these etch recipes.
>
> Regarding wet etching, generally I find it very hard to control and mask
> under-cut is significant.
>
> Howard Northfield
> Research Associate
> Advanced Research Complex (ARC)