[labnetwork] Question about DC sputtering of zinc

Malhotra, Sandra Guy sandra.malhotra at tamu.edu
Mon Jan 30 16:40:27 EST 2023

Howdy All from AggieFab,
We have a user who requested permission to sputter zinc in our shared Lesker PVD75 DC sputtering tool.  On the Lesker website, there is the following note:

"This material has a relatively high vapor pressure at low temperatures which can cause ppm level contamination in the chamber and subsequent films. Careful consideration should be taken before this material is used in any deposition system. For this reason, some users prefer to use only dedicated vacuum chambers for deposition."

I'd like to ask the group if they allow zinc depositions in their shared tools if they follow it by a thorough paste with another material, like Ti? Or if this material is prohibited because it is problematic.

Thanks in advance for any inputs you may have.

Best,

Sandra G. Malhotra, Ph.D.  |  Technical Lab Manager

AggieFab Nanofabrication Facility
https://aggiefab.tamu.edu/
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, College of Engineering | Texas A&M University
3253 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843
ph: 979.845.3199  |  sandra.malhotra at tamu.edu