[labnetwork] Dicing sapphire wafer

Hollingshead, Dave hollingshead.19 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 17 10:58:39 EDT 2023

Hi Ningzhi,

We dice sapphire quite a bit. Our dicing owner had the following comments (we have an ADT 7122):

We have had good luck dicing sapphire with the following recipe:
Feed rate = 1mm/sec
Spindle Speed = 18krpm
Cut depth = 200um/pass.
I have not had great luck with Disco resin blades for dicing sapphire.  We typically use ADT or Asahi resin blades.

A couple questions:
What is the OD of the blade?
Is the spray water positioned correctly on the blade as it is cutting?  (not enough cooling, too much heat = increased blade load and wear)
Is the substrate round or rectangular?  Substrate diameter/dimensions?
How far outside the substate edge does the blade begin the cutting process?  (typical is 10mm)

-Dave
Dave Hollingshead
Manager, Research Operations

The Ohio State University
Nanotech West Labs
Suite 100, 1381 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212
614.292.1355 Office
hollingshead.19 at osu.edu<mailto:hollingshead.19 at osu.edu> / nanotech.osu.edu<http://nanotech.osu.edu>