[labnetwork] Habitual late payments from external clients

Matthew Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 21 20:26:04 EDT 2023

Hi Julia,

We have had to deal with this on numerous occasions.  Fortunately, we have
been able to resolve the situation each time with frequent communications
to the customer, but we do have avenues of recourse built into our contract
in the event a situation should escalate.  The first course of action would
be to suspend services.  Typically, the threat of this would be enough to
move things forward.  The next area of recourse would be to turn everything
over to a collection agency.  That would be handled by our Accounts
Receivable Department on campus.  If all else fails, we can also seek legal
action, and it is written into the contract that the customer would also be
responsible for the cost of collections and any legal fees.  Lastly, we do
have a clause in our contract that states the University can apply interest
on a monthly basis if desired.  However, we have not yet gone down that
road.  A broader discussion would first need to be had with our Cost
Accounting group that manages the recharge centers on campus.

Best Regards,

Matt

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 7:35 AM Aebersold, Julia <
julia.aebersold at louisville.edu> wrote:

> Hello everyone.  We have a few external clients that are habitual late
> payers for their invoices.
>

> How does your facility deal with these late payers?  I’m thinking of
> applying an interest payment after a certain time period similar to credit
> card companies, but I want to hear what others do to encourage clients to
> pay on time.
>

> Cheers!
>

> Julia Aebersold, Ph.D.
>
> Manager, Micro/Nano Technology Center
>
> University of Louisville
>
> Shumaker Research Building, Room 233
>
> 2210 South Brook Street
>
> Louisville, KY  40292
>
> (502) 852-1572
>

> http://louisville.edu/micronano/

Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D
Executive Director, Claire & John Bertucci Nanotechnology Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering | Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
Phone: 412-268-5430
ece.cmu.edu
nanofab.ece.cmu.edu