[labnetwork] Cleanroom CDA system compressors

Collins, Deon deonc69 at illinois.edu
Sat Apr 6 17:06:11 EDT 2024

The choice really depends on you air requirements. We at Hmntl have two separate compressed air systems. Our 16 cleanrooms and facility use the standard CDA from a 100hp Sullair VSD rotary screw compressor. With this unit we have an external 600cfm dryer as well as a large demister to catch any oil that might escape the air compressor. If you have high air requirements this may be your best option. The cheap recip or rotary on tank systems are energy hogs and I personally would get a variable speed unit with some type of ROI for energy.

Our BIO lab and a few other delicate labs needing better quality air(medical grade) use a multistage scroll unit. Its initial stage is a 5hp unit that maxes out at 25-30 hp. It is relatively small unit but very efficient. If I had a low
Cfm requirement I would stick with a scroll system with multiple stage. The beauty of this system being if you lost a stage the next unit will step in and take over with out an outage.
These units are also very efficient.

Deon D. Collins

Director of Facilities
The Grainger College Of Engineering UIUC
Holonyak Micro & Nanotechnology Lab
208 N Wright St Rm. 1114 | MC-249
Urbana, IL 61801
217-300-7531 | deonc69 at illinois.edu<mailto:deonc69 at illinois.edu>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA883B.BCAE04A0]<http://illinois.edu/>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
                                                                                      Propeck Amanda