[labnetwork] CVD Diborane Diffusion

Bernard Alamariu bernard at mtl.mit.edu
Thu Aug 9 15:57:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

I think that you use this process to dope Si wafers, correct?
Or is it an in-situ doping of some Polysilicon film deposited by CVD,
using Silane?

In any case you have a concurrent oxidation process with O2 flow at 1000C;
during which the Boron "segregates" into the SiO2 grown layer depleting the
Si substrate; so when you remove the oxide for 4 point probe the
resistivity increases.
If it is PolySilicon: the thermal oxidation goes first around the poly
grains and
high resistance again.

I think of trying to deposit the Boron doped source layer at lower
temperature and
for a short time ( O2 flow still is required for Diborane ) and continue
with drive-in
at 1000C in Nitrogen only. Then remove the Diborane doped source.

Thanks, Bernard