[labnetwork] CVD Diborane Diffusion

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 9 20:09:19 EDT 2012

On 8/9/2012 4:44 AM, Siva Penmetsa wrote:

You are talking about an atmospheric pressure pre-deposition correct?
While it's been many, many years, we used to use diborane as a
predeposition source and my failing memory recalls that we would expect
a sheet resistance of about 45-50 ohms/square following a 30 minute
predep at 1000 degrees C prior to drive in.

I trust that you are actually using fairly dilute diborane in a carrier
gas, correct?  What is the diborane concentration of your source gas and
what is the carrier gas?

While my recommendations might vary somewhat depending on those answers,
one thing jumps off the page at me when I read your process details:  2
SLPM of oxygen is a very large flow oxygen when your total flow is about
5 SLPM.

While you need enough oxygen to fully oxidize the amount of diborane
injected to convert it into B2O3 ... which is ultimately what does the
doping, too much oxygen is a bad thing because it creates an ever
increasing oxide layer at the silicon surface that tends to isolate the
B2O3 layer (that is deposited on top of that oxidizing surface) from the
silicon surface.  I believe that it is likely that you would see lower
sheet resistance and better reproducibility if you lowered your oxygen
flow significantly .... while I can't quite recall details from my
youth, I'm guessing that an oxygen flow of 100-200 SCCM is probably a
lot closer to where you want to be to fully oxidize the diborane but not
have such a high concentration of oxygen that the thermally grown oxide
prevents the glassy B2O3 layer from doping your silicon surface.

You need to look carefully at how much diborane you are actually flowing
at various flow conditions .... assuming that you are using a
comparatively low concentration of diborane.  As I recall, for example,
we used to use something on the order of 1000 ppm diborane in nitrogen
as our source .... certainly well less than 1%.  If you are using a
comparable concentration, it only takes a few SCCM of oxygen to fully
oxidize your diborane.  Rather than adjusting diborane flow, I'd fix
your diborane flow at 40 SCCM and then back down your oxygen flow
significantly.  I suspect that you'll see lower sheet resistance and
better reproducibility because the oxidation of the silicon surface will
no longer be "winning".

This is all from many years ago from someone whose memory is not that
great, but that is where I would start.

Good luck,

John