[labnetwork] Accepting new tools to a shared facility

Lynn Rathbun rathbun at cnf.cornell.edu
Tue Apr 30 23:18:10 EDT 2013

At Cornell, our agreement is even simpler. They have to give it to
us, outright, no strings attached. We own it, we train on it, we take
care of it, we charge for it. Co-ownership does not work in our opinion

Lynn Rathbun

At 07:57 PM 4/30/2013 +0000, you wrote:

>boundary="_000_BAEB67F7D00AEE4F8513105A149258C0383F9182CITESMBX2aduill_"
>

>Hi Rob,
>
>Our criteria is very simple: They have to share it. They can set the
>ground rules regarding what materials/processes are acceptable, but
>if others want to use it for those allowed purposes, they must be
>given permission to do so. We also allow them to have their students
>do the training (and/or maintenance) on the tool if they choose, but
>they usually prefer to let our technical staff to do that.
>
>  -- John

>John S. Hughes                         Office: (217) 333-4674
>Associate Director                        FAX: (217) 244-6375
>Laboratory
>Operations                     <mailto:hughes at illinois.edu>hughes at illinois.edu
>Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>2000E Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
>208 North Wright Street
>Urbana,
>Illinois  61801              <http://mntl.illinois.edu>http://mntl.illinois.edu
>
>On Apr 30, 2013, at 9:46 AM, "Tufts, Robert"
><<mailto:tufts at usf.edu>tufts at usf.edu>
>  wrote:
>
>>Dear All,
>>
>>Do any of you have criteria or some sort of written agreement that
>>you execute when a faculty member asks to have a tool of theirs
>>taken under your shared facility's umbrella? If so could you share it?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Rob
>>
>>Robert Warner Tufts Jr. , MEE
>>Assistant Director
>>Nanotechnology Research & Education Center
>>College of Engineering, University of South Florida
>><image001.png>
>>4202 E. Fowler Ave, ENB 118
>>Tampa, Florida 33620
>>Office Phone 813.974.5274
>>Cell Phone 813-505-1626
>>E-Mail: <mailto:tufts at usf.edu>tufts at usf.edu
>>Web:  <http://www.nrec.usf.edu>http://www.nrec.usf.edu

Dr. Lynn Rathbun                                        Rathbun at cnf.cornell.edu
NNIN  Deputy Director                   (607)-254-4872
CNF Laboratory Manager
Duffield Hall                                                (607)-255-8601 Fax
Cornell
University                                       (607)-592-1549 Work Cell
Ithaca, New York 14853                     (607)-342-1880 Personal Cell