[labnetwork] BCL3 - Gas Line Heaters and Protocols

Fouad Karouta fouad.karouta at anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 26 20:42:38 EDT 2013

Dear Dean,

At ANFF ACT Node we use BCl3 in our ICP system. Here follows the way we installed it:

1-      The cylinder is located in an individual exhausted gas cabinet located outside the lab in a dedicated gas shed. The SS tubing going to the ICP tool is argon welded (single line) and is about 10m long. No other appendages are used between the gas panel in the gas cabinet and the gaspod of the tool.

2-      We have a low pressure (secondary side) pressure regulator with a reading of -4PSI (maybe the gauge is faulty). From the panel the SS tubing is heated at 30°C.

3-      We monitor the gas through three BCl3 sensors (from Bionics): one sampling the exhaust of the gas cabinet, one sampling the tool gaspod (exhaust) and one monitoring the open air around the system. Also we do have a shared gas sensor (with Cl2) to monitor the exhaust of the dry scrubber (Clean Systems).

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, Fouad

Manager ANFF ACT Node
Research School of Physics and Engineering
Australian National University
ACT 0200, Canberra, Australia
Tel: + 61 2 6125 7174
Mob: + 61 451 046 412