[labnetwork] CMP pads storage

Michael Khbeis khbeis at uw.edu
Mon Feb 18 23:18:14 EST 2013

Christophe,

There are a substantial amount of details regarding the operation and maintenance of a Strasbaugh 6EC and CMP in general.  I can give you a few highlights and point you to a valuable resource, but feel free to ask me more specific questions as I had run a 6EC for the majority of 10 years and learned quite a bit along the way.

First, always store CMP pads laying flat.  Do not stand the box on end.  I invested in multiple pad tables (removable anodized aluminum carrier) and swapped tables when changing from a SUBA IV to an IC-1000 k-groove/SUBA IV stack pad.  The former for fine polish, the latter for metal/oxide CMP.  When not in use, cover with the original plastic backing sheet and a spare table cover.  They should be kept damp, but not soaked. Same for the VIPR polishing head.  I would keep a small container and place the head in it with a little water when not in use.

For facilities DI feed of course, stable compressed air, and slurry feeds.  The slurry health maintenance is the most problematic area of R&D volume CMP.  Without maintaining a proper humidification, avoiding shearing (e.g. peristaltic pumps), rapid pH swings, etc. the slurry will tend to agglomerate and cause scratching defects.  I worked extensively with Axus Technologies in Tempe, AZ to develop a custom slurry health monitoring system that would keep our slurries in suspension for weeks.  Until we employed this system, it was a challenge to get consistent results.  Also, we were challenged in quality control of incoming slurry and obvious changes in chemistry/inconsistencies by the second tier distributors.

Please feel free to contact me for more specific questions and concerns.

Best regards,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
Associate Director
Microfabrication Facility (MFF)