[labnetwork] ambient gas detection for bulkheaded tools

Mac Hathaway hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 19 16:33:11 EDT 2013

Hi Iulian,

At Harvard CNS, we monitor for toxics about 6 inches in from the back
wall, on the cleanroom side, adjacent to the tool in question, to pick
up ambient leaks in the "working space".  We also monitor "exhausted
enclosures", typically the "gas box" where the VCR connected gases mate
to the shut-off valves and MFCs at the back of the system.  As fittings
are the most likely leak points, these are generally all within the
enclosed and exhausted space inside the system, and represent a
different level of risk compared to ambient leaks.  Thus, these
monitoring points generate a local evacuation (cleanroom only), while
ambient leaks are generate a building-wide evacuation.

The placement for the ambient detection points was based on where the
technician would be (the "breathing space"), where the leak could come
from (open chamber being considered most likely), and where the
monitoring tubes won't be too much in the way.  We used swagelok
bulk-head fittings mounted to the wall, with the plastic sample tubing
(for our remotely located sensors) sticking out through the slightly
larger diameter stainless bulkhead tubing.  Looks tidy, and supports and
protects the tubing reasonably well.

We debated locating sampling points inside the bay, just outside the
gratings at the base of the wall, and even directly below the wall in
the room outflow, and chose our current configuration as the best
compromise between response time (closer to source, less dilution), and
most comprehensive coverage (further from source allows gases to diffuse
sideways, so one sensor could see more "area" but concentrations would
be lower).

Mac Hathaway
Harvard CNS