[labnetwork] ambient gas detection for bulkheaded tools

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Thu Jun 20 07:30:16 EDT 2013

Iulian,

here at UofMichigan, we're not sampling in any of the breathing air spaces
directly for the clean room.  Any time we've tried that, the results were
inconclusive, and ineffective.  We just move too much air around.  We are
sampling in some of the more "static" spaces, subfab, hallways in front of,
and behind, the clean room.  Typically all of our gas detection is done in
the exhausted enclosures.  That's where the breakable connections are, and
we're constantly pulling fab air into them.  One of the things we are doing
is looking for gases in cabinets that wouldn't have that gas there, in
effect sampling the fab air coming into the enclosures.  For example, in an
Ammonia cabinet, we might be looking for BCl3, HBr, Cl2, DCS, and hydrides,
in addition to the amines for Ammonia.

Dennis

734.647.2055 Ofc

"People can be divided into 3 groups - those that make things happen, those
that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened."  Within
which group do you belong?