[labnetwork] ambient gas detection for bulkheaded tools

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 19 18:39:20 EDT 2013

We here at Harvard use ambient points in the bays as well as points within the gas network of all bulkheaded tools that use toxic/ flammable gases. We monitor the bay side by installing bored through 3/8" Swagelok bulkhead unions through the wall panel and push the 1/4" Teflon "sniffers" about 6" into the bay side. Placement of the sniffers is a combination of where the chambers and people are.  We have very fast response from our detection due to good placement, an engineer here (OK, it's me) has accidently set them off while forgetting to disarm them before opening a chamber. As embarrassing as these evacuations are, they are proof positive that the system is protecting the occupants of the lab.

Steve Paolini
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu