[labnetwork] ambient gas detection for bulkheaded tools

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 20 13:15:24 EDT 2013

Iulian:

Although we don't have much in the way of bulkheaded tools, I'd like to
offer a couple of comments to the already good points made by a number
of my respected colleagues.  In particular, like many of the other
sites, most of our detectors are monitoring enclosed/exhausted spaces
associated with tools, although we do tend to use a smaller number of
"room air" detectors as something of a backup.  For example, in an aisle
with a number of chlorine etchers, we tend to have one chlorine detector
in each tool exhaust and then a single chlorine detector sniffing the
room air in that aisle.

For all of this to work ... and this may depend on your local codes, but
is certainly the rule in Santa Clara County and, I believe, throughout
California ... the alarm limit of your detectors monitoring the
exhausted spaces need to be set to the PEL of the gas (the requirement
for occupied areas), rather than 1/2 IDLH (the requirement for
unoccupied areas).  While that still may take a bit of discussion with
your AHJ, Santa Clara County tends to be quite strict in their
interpretations but have allowed a single detector in an exhausted space
to do "double duty" as both monitoring for leaks in the exhausted space
of the tool and in the nearby room area as long as the alarm limit is
set to the PEL of that gas.  Certainly in California, code tells you
when you need to have a detector, but does not specify where that
detector is located.

Note: if your pump exhaust goes into this same exhaust area rather than
to some sort of dedicated treatment system, make sure that the pump
exhaust enters downstream of your detection point so that normal tool
operation does not set off an alarm.

Thanks,

John