[labnetwork] Titanium hazard

Scott Blondell spb1699 at rit.edu
Wed May 8 14:29:06 EDT 2013

Rick,

We've seen this problem with platinum in our e-gun evaporator. As a result, we no longer use IPA or other flammables on tool specific chamber cleans.
The chamber interiors are wiped down dry. Education of our users and restricting higher-risk chamber cleaning to staff members has further reduced the threat.

Our solvent waste is segregated from other lab waste by depositing in metal solvent cans with self-closing lids. That's not to say a solvent-wetted wipe from someone else's work
wouldn't ignite when exposed to metal-laden wipes improperly added to the metal can. The potential risk is minimized, however, by creating different waste streams and avoiding
the solvent cleaning whenever possible.

Scott P. Blondell
Facilities Manager
Rochester Institute of Technology