[labnetwork] Precautions for the inspection and handling of used semiconductor manufacturing equipment ?

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 24 10:10:18 EDT 2014

Stephen:

First my disclaimer:  I am not a health and safety professional, but
have received donated equipment over the years:  some of which have been
carefully decontaminated ... whereas other look as if they were simply
removed by cutting every line to the tool.

Here are a few things that I would offer:

1. I would get a better set of gloves and probably more than one type.
It sounds as if you are using simple disposable or latex gloves.
Certainly something at bit more robust such as Trionic gloves would
provide better protection against exposure for a variety of acids.
Someone (I forget who) at UGIM was describing some lightweight Trionic
gloves that they liked ... I think that it may have been either the MIT
or Harvard EH&S folks who spoke during the Sunday introductory session
on safety.  You probably also want something like nitrile gloves that
are better, I think, where solvent exposure is the primary hazard.

2.  I would always check were the closest safety shower or source of
water is.  My guess is that you are likely often in locations where
there is no real safety shower ... but knowing where the nearest
restroom, running garden hose, etc would always be high on my list. It's
probably worth mention that to your host as a precondition to your
inspection.

3.   While others may have their favorites, we like SpilFyter Chemical
Classifier strips that have several patches that can detect pH,
fluoride, oxidizer, and a few more things.  When you are less certain of
the chemical, the strips that can detect more things are useful.

4. I think that Calcium Gluconate typically comes in tubes that are
larger than you can get through TSA.  As a result, I'd pre-fill two or
three smaller plastic squeeze bottles so that you can get it through
TSA.  I would also consider pre-shipping any other supplies to your
destination.

5. How about a cartridge respirator and a set of cartridges for
solvents, particles, etc?

6. For a measure of neutralization of surfaces, having some calcium
carbonate crystals that could be mixed into a dilute solution is
probably not a bad idea.  If I am not mistaken, most professional decon
teams use calcium carbonate solution for anything that might have been
exposed to HF or fluoride-bearing solutions such as implanter source
boxes that have BF3 "crusty stuff" in them.

7.  Some form of good eye protection against unexpected splashes is
important too.  Note: while somewhat bulky, a full face respirator would
give you good eye protection in addition to fume protection.

Those are some of the things that I would want to have with me if I were
about to do battle with a piece of equipment of unknown provenance.  I
am confident, however, that some of the others on this list will have
more to add.

Good luck,

John