[labnetwork] Metal Targets Final thickness

Gupta, Su sgupta at eng.ua.edu
Fri Oct 17 12:24:21 EDT 2014

Dear Kamal:

You can measure the erosion groove with a depth gauge to see how close it is getting to punch-through. Otherwise you have to go by experience on the number of kilowatt-hours for a particular target and cathode type. When it is getting close to punch-through, you can observe the plasma, which will change to bright blue when you start sputtering copper. You should bond your tagets to a copper backing plate so that you avoid sputtering the target.

Best wishes,
Su Gupta

Dr. Subhadra Gupta
Director, UA Micro-Fabrication Facility
Professor, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Adjunct, Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
sgupta at eng.ua.edu<mailto:sgupta at eng.ua.edu>
(205) 348-4272