[labnetwork] Metal Targets Final thickness

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Fri Oct 17 12:24:18 EDT 2014

At Draper we do the following:

Take a surface profile of the target during installation, note target material thickness.
Keep a log of voltage and current for every run (DC Mag only)
As the target depth changes the voltage on the target compensates to keep the current set.
One per qtr we open the tool and do a surface profile and estimate the physical thickness left.
If you have been logging your deposition runs and thickness you can then estimate how many depositions you have left.

It is always best to pull the target early, because if you break through you sputter the bonding agent all over the chamber and your wafers and then you have a big mess to cleanup. Most bonding agents are indium based and that it tough to cleanup.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Draper Laboratory
Principal  Member of the Technical Staff
Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
555 Technology Square
Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563

www.draper.com
rmorrison at draper.com