[labnetwork] Cleaning of SS chambers with Acetic Acid

Kamal Yadav kamal.yadav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 14:12:13 EDT 2014

Dear All,

Recently our gold metal target got completely consumed during the run in
the sputter and the metal underneath, which is copper, got sputtered
instead. It may have happened few times, as target is fixed and hard to
reach usually for a look before sputtering.

This made the entire chamber looks black, and dirty. I believe copper oxide
coating must be there. After this the metal resistivities are coming in
ohm-cm, as we believe some redeposition may be happening.

I want to clean the chamber using diluted acetic acid [4% only] which
removes copper oxides. Any other recommendation to clean SS chambers and
hope this may be ok?. Or any other suggestion to the observation.

Thanks a lot!

Kamal Yadav
Sr. Process Technologist
IITBNF, EE Department, Annexe,